Juneau - Egan Drive Resurfacing 10th Street to Main Street
Federal Project #NHS 093-2(47) /
State Project #69393 & #69450
The purpose of the proposed project is to improve transportation safety on Egan Drive for motorized and non-motorized traffic and to prevent failure of the retaining wall on Egan Drive near Merchants Wharf.
See Construction Information
Current Project Information
On March 27, 2019, DOT&PF awarded a $14.3 million project to SECON to resurface Egan Drive from 10th Street to Main Street and enhance pedestrian and bicycle facilities.
The project will:
- Resurface Egan Drive from 10th Street to Main Street
- Improve and add pedestrian crossing opportunities by reducing the number
and/or width of driving lanes
- Widen sidewalks
- Construct bike lanes
- Repair sections of retaining wall under the Merchant’s Wharf building
- Rehabilitate the Gold Creek Bridge (incl. asphalt, rails and signs)
- Slip lining some existing culverts
- Widen Egan Drive seaward with a reinforced soil slope approximately 1,300 linear feet between West Eighth Street and Whittier Street
- Remove and replace storm drainage systems that drain into Gastineau Channel
- Relocate electrical and telephone utility boxes impacted by the project
- Replace luminaires and traffic signals including electrical conduits
- Replace signs and install new way finding signs to direct pedestrian and bicycle traffic
Project Status and Schedule
- Activities in summer 2019 focused on the stretch of Egan Drive between Willoughby and Whittier streets.
- Road construction has resumed with the focus on finishing the section between 10th and Whittier streets, and repairing the retaining wall under the Merchant's Wharf building.
This page last updated: 4/13/20