Shoreside Support & Administration
Shoreside Support and Administration consists of various departments. Each department provides all of the necessary land-based support that is needed to keep the system running. Aside from Reservations located at the Juneau Central Office (JCO) and the Terminals that are located in port communities, most of these departments operate out of Ketchikan in either the Ketchikan Central Office (KCO) or the Marine Engineering Facility (MEF).
Executive Management: Includes Executive Managment with ISM
Business Development: Computer Services, Finance, Administration, Information Technology, Marketing, Reservations & Sales, Terminals and Terminal Services.
Marine Engineering: Vessel Engineering and Marine Facilities
Marine Operations: Passenger Services, Vessel Operations, Licensed & Unlicensed Dispatching, Training and Vessel Scheduling, Security, Environmental Compliance and Safety.
Currently recruiting for:
Currently recruiting for: Marine Transportation Services Manager
The Alaska Marine Highway System is seeking a dynamic and experienced Business Development and Financial Analyst Manager to join their team. In this pivotal role, you will be responsible for driving the strategic growth and financial performance of the organization. You will lead efforts to identify new business opportunities, analyze market trends, and develop comprehensive financial models to support decision-making. Collaborating with cross-functional teams, you will play a crucial part in shaping the future of Alaska's vital transportation network. The ideal candidate will possess a strong background in financial analysis, business development, and maritime operations, with the ability to thrive in a challenging and dynamic environment. Join us in making a lasting impact on Alaska's marine transportation system.
The Alaska Marine Highway System (AMHS) provides vital transportation that serves the diverse communities and rugged landscapes of Alaska. AMHS provides essential ferry services connecting numerous coastal communities, facilitating the movement of passengers, vehicles, and freight throughout the region. We are dedicated to ensuring safe, reliable, and efficient maritime transportation services while preserving the unique Alaskan environment and culture.
What you will be doing:
As the Business Development and Financial Analyst Manager for the Alaska Marine Highway System, my primary role will be to strategically analyze and enhance the financial operations of the organization while fostering business growth opportunities. I will spearhead the evaluation of revenue streams, cost optimization, and financial forecasting to ensure the long-term sustainability of the marine transportation system. Additionally, I will identify and develop strategic partnerships, explore new routes, and assess market trends to expand the system's reach and profitability. Through data-driven insights and collaboration with key stakeholders, I aim to drive efficiency, financial stability, and innovation within the Alaska Marine Highway System, contributing to its continued success and service to the Alaskan community and beyond.
1. Market Analysis: Conduct in-depth market research to identify trends, potential clients, and competitors. Analyze data to make informed decisions and develop market entry strategies and maximize revenue. In addition, analyzing financial and operational results to better understand company performance.
2. Business Development: Identify and pursue new business opportunities, partnerships, and collaborations. Build strong relationships with key stakeholders to expand our market reach and grow our customer base. Design various dashboards and prepare appropriate reports for same. Administer various strategies and ensure achievement of all business objectives and within timeframe and project deadline. Establish appropriate financial metrics for all business activities. Provides forecast and analysis of trends in ridership, sales, revenue, and general business conditions.
3. Financial: Develop a pricing strategy for the Alaska Marine Highway System to the communities served. Perform financial evaluation to assess the effectiveness of pricing schedules. Conduct research to identify new revenue channels and customer needs and develop a growth strategy focused both on financial gain and customer satisfaction. Develop various financial models to support business strategies. Present sales, revenue, and realistic forecasts to the Marine Director.
4. Market Expansion: Explore potential markets for business expansion and conduct feasibility studies to assess their viability.
5. Competitive Analysis: Monitor competitor activities, strategies, and product offerings to stay ahead in the market.
6. Marketing Strategy: Develop and implement marketing plans to promote our marine products and services. Utilize digital marketing, content creation, and social media to increase brand awareness and engagement. Develop and maintain a strong brand image in the marine industry, ensuring consistency across all communication channels. Represent the company at industry events, trade shows, and conferences to network, generate leads, and showcase our capabilities.
7. Sales Support: Work closely with the sales team to provide marketing support and collateral, enabling them to achieve their targets effectively.
Our organization, mission, and culture:
To support the DOT&PF mission by providing access and mobility within the communities of Alaska, both urban and non-urban, through transit services that are safe, appealing, efficient, and easily available to both the general public and transit-dependent populations.
The working environment you can expect:
Embark on an exciting journey with Alaska Marine Highway System and make a significant impact in the marine industry. We offer a dynamic work environment that fosters growth, rewards innovation, and celebrates success. As Marine Business and Marketing Development Manager, you will have the opportunity to shape the future of AMHS while advancing your career in a thriving sector.
The benefits of joining our team:
The State of Alaska has a generous benefits package and an excellent retirement plan. Please see here for more information: https://doa.alaska.gov/dop/workplace/benefits/ The DOT&PF core values are integrity, excellence, and respect. We support an environment focused on teamwork and collaboration to achieve results. We find success in achieving our transportation mission through building credibility with our customers, stakeholders, and the public. A successful candidate will have sound judgment and decision-making and a history of strong ethical and professional conduct.
Who we are looking for:
Any combination of education and/or experience that provides the applicant with the core competencies of:
- Proven experience in the marine industry, with a solid understanding of its market dynamics.
- Demonstrated track record in business development, financial analyst, and sales or marketing within the maritime sector.
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills to build strong relationships with clients and partners.
- Proficiency in market research, data analysis, and reporting.
- Creative mindset with the ability to develop innovative marketing campaigns.
- Willingness to travel as required for business meetings and industry events.
- Strong team player with the ability to collaborate across different departments.
- Significant analytical skillset, including the utilization of BI and reporting tools.
- Experience with Microsoft programs, with advanced skills using excel.
- Strong quantitative abilities.
- High level of commercial and customer service experience.
Minimum of five years of relevant analytical experience.
Bachelor's degree in finance or MBA preferred.