Completed in 1923, the Alaska Railroad's main line extends from tidewater at Seward north to the Interior city of Fairbanks, about 470 miles of track.
Operating year-round passenger service between Anchorage and Fairbanks, the Alaska Railroad also offers service via Talkeetna, Denali, Seward and Whittier during the summer. Amenities available (not on all routes) include glass-domed luxury railcars, gourmet cuisine and a wide variety of overnight adventure and sightseeing packages. The Alaska Railroad is one of the last surviving 'flag stop' passenger rail lines in the U.S. - trains that will stop where and whenever passengers want to get on or off.
Alaska Railroad in the fall.
© Alaska Railroad
- View the Bartlett and Spencer Glaciers within 48 miles of Seward.
- A short rail spur tunnels through the rugged Chugach Mountains to Whittier.
- Watch for bore tides and beluga whales as the rail runs along beautiful Turnagain Arm.
- Now Alaska's largest city, Anchorage began as a construction camp for the railroad in 1914.
- Visit the charming town of Talkeetna, the base of operations for climbing expeditions to Mount McKinley.
- At Milepost 284 don't look down at Hurricane Gulch!
- Denali National Park is the destination of many rail travelers.
- Nenana is where President Warren G. Harding drove the golden spike to complete the railroad in 1923.
- Disembark in Fairbanks for endless adventure opportunities in Alaska's vast north.
- Anchorage Folk Festival
- Polar Bear Jumpoff Festival
Third Saturday in January
- Yukon Quest Int'l Sled Dog Race
- Tesoro Iron Dog Snowmachine Race
- Anchorage Fur Rendezvous
Anchorage, 907- 274-1177
- Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race
- World Ice Art Championships
- Harbor Opening Weekend
Third weekend in May
- Mayor's Midnight Sun Marathon
- Fourth of July celebrations Regionwide
- Golden Days
- Tanana Valley Sandhill Crane Festival
- Annual Crafts Emporium
- Annual Holiday Train Ride
- Alaska Railroad
411 W. First Ave. Anchorage, AK 99501
- Anchorage Visitor's Bureau
524 W. Fourth Ave., Anchorage, AK 99501
- Fairbanks Convention and Visitors Bureau
550 First Ave., Fairbanks, AK 99701
- Greater Whittier Chamber of Commerce
PO Box 607, Whittier, AK 99693
- Nenana Chamber of Commerce
- Seward Chamber of Commerce
PO Box 749, Seward, AK 99664
- Talkeetna Denali Visitor Center
PO Box 688, Talkeetna, AK 99676
Alaska Railroad © AKRR
Questions about the Scenic Byways web site? email@example.com