All routes within the Alaska Marine Highway System (AMHS) are, collectively, an All-American Road. The Gulf Coast Route of the All-American Road encompasses the Alaska Marine Highway service in Southcentral Alaska, Kodiak and the Aleutian Islands.
Prince William Sound
The Prince William Sound ferry routes take you through the incredible beauty of the Gulf of Alaska and Lower Cook Inlet. Glaciers and fjords, concentrations of seabirds and marine wildlife may be seen at every turn. The AMHS ferry transits Prince William Sound daily during the summer, linking towns and villages and providing visitors access to a bounty of recreational and sight-seeing opportunities.
MV Tustumena leaving Homer, Alaska DOT&PF
Kodiak & the Aleutians
From the gentle coastal grasslands of its islands to the rumbling snow-capped volcanoes along its shores, Southwest Alaska is a region known for its spirit of adventure. Stretching from Kodiak Island to the Aleutian Chain, it is home to the largest brown bears in the world, as well as walrus, seals, dozens of species of seabirds, giant halibut and plentiful salmon runs. It also has many rich cultural and historical treasures.
The Russian Orthodox Cathedral of the Holy Ascension is Unalaska's most famous landmark. Credit: Aneta Synan, ADOT&PF
- Learn about Prince William Sound's abundant marine life at the Alaska SeaLife Center in Seward.
- Sail along the Pacific "Rim of Fire," which traverses the Alaska Peninsula out to the Aleutian Islands.
- Ride the ferry to the Marine Highway's westernmost port, Unalaska, bombed by the Japanese during WW II and now home to a large fishing fleet.
- Valdez is the terminus of the Trans-Alaska Pipeline and an extreme skier's paradise.
- Use Homer as a base to explore or fish beautiful Kachemak Bay.
- Make Kodiak your destination for unmatched fishing and outstanding wildlife viewing opportunities. The world's largest carnivore, the legendary Kodiak Brown Bear, calls the island home.
- Russian Christmas and Starring
Regionwide, January 7-9
- Russian New Year & Masquerade Ball
- Polar Bear Run
- Comfish Alaska
3rd largest commercial fishing show on the Pacific Coast
- Whalefest: A Migration Celebration
- Koniag's Kodiak Crab Festival
Memorial Day weekend
- Kachemak Bay Shorebird Festival
- Fourth of July celebrations
- Mount Ballyhoo Run
- Bear Country Music Festival
- Kodiak State Fair and Rodeo
Labor Day Weekend
- Blueberry Bash
Last weekend in September
- Run the Rock Marathon
- Zombie Run
- Harbor Stars - Christmas Fleet Parade
- New Years Eve Fireworks
See Kodiak brown bears in their natural habitat. Alaska DOT&PF
Aleutians World War II Visitor Center in Unalaska. Peter Metcalfe, Alaska DOT&PF
Questions about the Scenic Byways web site? email@example.com