Design & Construction Standards
Traffic and Safety Resources
Highway Safety Improvement Program (HSIP)
Under the HSIP, DOT&PF Traffic and Safety personnel annually identify high accident locations on Alaska roads, evaluate corrective measures, fund the most cost-effective ones, and evaluate their effectiveness after projects are completed.
There are many competing needs and influences that vie for DOT&PF project funding through other programs. In contrast, HSIP funds are intended to be targeted single-mindedly at life-saving and injury reduction.
- See 23 CFR 924 for the regulatory basis for the HSIP
- See the HSIP Handbook for a description of the HSIP process
Other Resource Links:
- AASHTO Strategic Highway Safety Plan
- FHWA Safety Website
- Insurance Institute for Highway Safety
- Intersection Safety
- Municipality of Anchorage - Traffic Engineering Division
- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration