Old Steese Highway Reconstruction
Project Number: Z624870000
Project study area includes the road right-of-way and surrounding properties.
The Alaska Department of Transportation & Public Facilities (ADOT&PF) proposes to upgrade the Old Steese Highway between the 3rd Street and Johansen Expressway intersections.
The purpose of the project is to improve traffic flow and safety for motorized and non-motorized users along the corridor. Proposed project improvements include:
- Sidewalk widening and ADA improvements
- Addition of roadway shoulders, traffic through, right and left turn lanes
- Traffic signal and street lighting upgrades
The project will be constructed in two stages:
- Stage 1 begins at the Kutter Road intersection and heads north ending at the Johansen Expressway intersection.
- Stage 2 begins at the Kutter Road intersection and heads south ending at the 3rd Street intersection.
In preparation for the construction projects, ADOT&PF is currently finalizing the horizontal roadway geometry to determine Right-of-Way (ROW) needs. Then we will begin the process of acquiring additional ROW needed for the project.
- Fall 2020 ROW acquired
- Fall 2021 Environmental Document approved
- Spring 2023 Preliminary Design
- Fall 2023 Final Design
- Spring 2024 Begin Construction