General Travel Information
Travel in the Know ... Dial Up or Log On
Road Weather Information System
Visit the Travel Resources page for more land, air, sea and commercial travel information.
- It is unlawful to operate a motor vehicle with studded tires on a paved highway or road from May 1st through September 15th, inclusive, north of 60° North Latitude (all communities north of Ninilchik) and
- It is unlawful to operate a motor vehicle with studded tires on a paved highway or road from April 15th through September 30th, inclusive, south of 60° North Latitude (Anchor Point, Homer, Kodiak and cities and towns in Southeast Alaska), except that at any latitude on a paved portion of the Sterling Highway a person may not operate a motor vehicle with studded tires from May 1st through September 15th, inclusive.
WARNING: Water and asphalt do not mix. Potholes result when water gets into and under asphalt. Motorists should reduce speed while driving through all puddles especially large puddles. We have had many reports of flat tires due to drivers driving too fast through puddles and hitting unseen potholes. Report potholes promptly to the nearest maintenance station in your area.
To report potholes on major state routes:
- Southcoast Region (Juneau / Ketchikan / Skagway / Haines): 907-465-1784 or 907-465-1789
- Northern Region (Fairbanks / Valdez to Prudhoe Bay): 907-451-2205
- Anchorage: 907-338-1466
- Kenai Peninsula: 907-262-2199
- Mat-Su: 907-745-2159
To report potholes on local roads:
- Municipality of Anchorage: 907-343-8277
- City & Borough of Juneau: 907-586-5256
- City of Fairbanks: 907-459-6715
- Mat-Su Borough: 907-745-9826
- Kenai Peninsula Borough: 907-262-4427
- Snow Removal Schedule for the Anchorage Area may be found at: www.muni.org/streets/wintermaintenance.cfm
- See Winter Season Resources for Snowplowing Hotlines.