Skip to content

Crash Reporting - Driver Self Reporting Forms

The State of Alaska requires by law that individuals report the details of motor vehicle accidents in the following circumstances:
Immediate notice of accident. The driver of a vehicle involved in an accident resulting in bodily injury to or death of a person or total property damage to an apparent extent of $2,000 or more shall, within 10 days after the accident, forward a written or electronic report of the accident to the Department of Administration and to the local police department if the accident occurs within a municipality. A report is not required under this subsection if the accident is investigated by a peace officer.
AS 28.35.080 (b)

How To Report Your Accident

DPS Form 12-209
Accident Self-Report
  • Creates your motor vehicle collision self-report.
  • This form collects details of the collision and its surrounding circumstances.
  • Use this form if law enforcement did not respond to the scene of the crash, OR you were instructed by a responding officer to self-report the crash.
DMV Form 466
Certificate Of Insurance
  • Creates your certification of liability insurance information related to a recent motor vehicle collision.
  • This form collects information about your insurance company and policy details.
  • Use this form if a law enforcement officer instructed you to provide proof of insurance at the scene of the crash after conducting an investigation and you were provided with a case number.

Reporting Instructions

  1. Collect all your information

    In order to completely fill out these forms you will need to provide the following:

    • Your Driver's License number
    • Your insurance information (company, address, phone number, policy number, etc.). This information can usually be found on your insurance card.
    • Your vehicle information (year, make, model, license plate number and registration state, VIN (vehicle ID number). These are also usually found on your insurance card.
    • Information for the owner of your vehicle (if you are not the owner).
    • The other driver's information (owner name and address, driver name and address, license number, insurance information, vehicle information, etc.) – whatever you were given after the crash when you exchanged information.
  2. Complete the form online

    You can fill out these forms online using the links above. They should be completed by the driver involved in the collision.

    Fill in all applicable spaces in the form with information you know about the crash as best you as you can. Pay particular attention to the crash narrative by writing short clear sentences that accurately describe what happened in your own words. Provide all information on your vehicle, the other vehicle(s) (if there were any), any vehicle occupants, etc.

  3. Submit completed form to Alaska Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV)

    When you are done entering all available information into the form, check the certification box at the bottom of the form and press the "Submit" button to complete your report.

    The form will respond that your information has been received.

Frequently Asked Questions

It's the law! (Alaska Statute Title 28, Chapter 35, Article 2, Section 28.35.080 (b))

In motor vehicle crashes where the damage is less than a certain dollar amount, no apparent significant injuries occurred, and police or local law enforcement jurisdiction did not investigate, Alaska developed the driver report (Form 12-209) to provide the user a way to self-report a crash and provide documentation to his or her insurance company.

As well, Alaska Statute Title 28, Chapter 22, Article 1, Section 28.22.021 requires the owner or operator of a motor vehicle to provide proof of motor vehicle liability insurance when that person is involved in an accident that results in bodily injury to or death of a person, or damage to the property of a person exceeding $501.

You must complete and submit these reports electronically to the Division of Motor Vehicles using the links above.

The 12-209 crash report information is used by the Alaska Department of Transportation (DOT) to identify sections of the road system that experience higher numbers of motor vehicle crashes. These higher crash areas are then proposed for capital improvement projects that improve road safety. The 12-209 crash form also includes the same information that the COI requests. When a motor vehicle crash results in no personal injury or results in property damage between $501 and $2,000, completing the 12-209 provides valuable crash and location information that helps DOT and still meets the requirement for proof of liability insurance to DMV shown above. Please consider completing the 12-209 in lieu of the stand-alone COI.

In some instances you will not have all the information you need about the other motor vehicle or people involved in the crash. Simply put unknown or N/A in the field.
Crash forms are required within 10 days and Certificate of Insurance within 15 days of the crash date.
Requests for copies of previously submitted reports for your records must be made in writing to the Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) Drivers Services using DMV form 440.

Submit your signed form 440 by e-mail at OR mail your printed paper original to:

State Of Alaska
Division of Motor Vehicles
Attn: Driver Services
3901 Old Seward Hwy, Ste 101
Anchorage, AK 99503-6089

For inquiries regarding these forms, submission deadlines, drivers licenses or insurance, or you are having technical problems submitting reports using the links above, please contact DMV by e-mail at or by phone at (907) 269-5551.