Here you'll find information regarding access west of the Susitna River.
The Department of Transportation and Public Facilities has issued a report for public review. Termed a “Reconnaissance” report, the study identifies locations that may benefit from surface access (i.e. road and/or rail) and evaluates the potential access routes. More specifically, the study identifies:
- Resource development and use opportunities west of the Susitna River;
- One or more potential crossings of the Susitna River; and,
- One or more potential transportation corridors to access identified resources.
The majority of the area under study is not accessible by the existing road network. Providing surface access to some of these natural resource-dense areas could facilitate further exploration, development, and use of these resources. Natural resource development in Alaska helps to create jobs and stimulate the economy. Creating access to resources also enables residents and visitors to use the land recreationally. Public review and comment on the study is invited.
You may access the on-line comment form here. We look forward to your responses. The response period will be open until February 28.
West Susitna Surface Access Reconnaissance StudyDocuments below are available in Adobe Acrobat PDF format. If you don't have Acrobat Reader a free viewer is available for download from Adobe.
- Transportation Analysis Report (download entire report)
- Transportation Analysis Report (download smaller sections)
- Resources Inventory (Part 1 of 2)
- Resources Inventory (Part 2 of 2)
- Infrastructure Inventory
- Alternatives Development (Part 1 of 2 )
- Alternatives Development (Part 2 of 2)
- Engineering of Resource Access Routes
- Evaluation of Proposed Access Routes
- Summary and Next Steps
- Appendix A: Preliminary Design Criteria Report
- Appendix B: Proposed Access Routes Map Index
- Appendix C: Geotechnical Reconnaissance Report
- Appendix D: Preliminary Cost Estimate
- Appendix E: Annotated Bibliography
- Appendix F: Economic Considerations
Murray Walsh, Project Manager
Alaska Department of Transportation and Public Facilities
PO Box 12500
Juneau, AK 99811-2500