Eligible Public Transit Projects
- Capital Projects
- Operating Activities
- Project Administration
- Training Events
All equipment purchased under these programs must be used to provide passenger transportation services. Examples of eligible capital projects include:
- Passenger service vehicles.
- Commuter vans.
- Refurbishment of existing vehicles.
- Vehicle retrofit for wheelchair lifts.
- Replacement parts for passenger service vehicles.
- Communications equipment.
- Computer hardware and data systems; dispatching software.
- Other equipment such as bicycle racks and fare boxes.
- Bus shelters, accessible features for sidewalks and facilities.
- Maintenance equipment (such as bus lifts).
- Security equipment.
NOTE: All equipment purchased with FTA funds must be part of an asset management plan.
Construction projects involve building a transit-related facility. Examples of eligible construction projects include:
- Bus transfer stations.
- Maintenance facilities.
- Bus shelters
Eligible Operating Activities
Operating assistance usually consists of activities and services that are directly provided or purchased by the grantee. Examples of eligible operating activities include:
- Operating assistance for rural public transportation services.
- Operating assistance for paratransit/special needs transportation services within and/or beyond ADA requirements.
- Operating assistance for transportation to and from jobs and employment support services.
Eligible Project Administration
Project administration usually consists of activities and services that are directly provided or purchased by the grantee and are not directly linked to operations. Examples of eligible project administration activities include:
- Salaries of administrative staff
- Marketing expenses
- Office supplies
- Costs of administering drug and alcohol testing.
- Standard overhead rates
Training Events Eligible for Reimbursement
Training events eligible for reimbursement include: courses, seminars, workshops and conferences specifically related to issues and needs that relate to non-urbanized transit organizations as well as “hosted” classes held by transit organizations through Alaska Rural Transportation Assistance Program (RTAP) training program. Training can be delivered by a third party or be provided in-house, in or out-of-state.
Examples of such events are: community CPR, Automated External Defibrillator (AED), and first aid courses, RTAP-sponsored special workshops, Alaska Community Transit Conference and out-of-state conferences related to transit, such as the Community Transportation Association of America (CTAA) Conference.