Coronavirus Traveler Confidence Plan
The coronavirus pandemic has had a tremendous impact on the travel industry and will have lasting impacts on how airports process and safeguard travelers.
ANC developed this Traveler Confidence Plan to explain how we use a multilayer cleanliness approach to keep travelers and employees safe from communicable diseases.
ANC has always used robust cleaning methods and materials designed to prevent the spread of Influenza A&B, Norovirus, and a multitude of other communicable diseases. Upgraded cleaning methods and materials have been added to handle the coronavirus.
Our terminals are designed to prevent the spread of communicable diseases
- Separate ventilation systems in the North and South Terminals meet Federal Indoor Air Quality Standards to minimize the spread of airborne communicable diseases.
- Fresh outdoor air is mixed with recirculated air from intakes high above passengers, allowing gravity to prevent any droplets containing virus from entering the air recirculation intakes. Air is also filtered through two activated carbon air filters.
- Numerous hand sanitizing stations are distributed throughout the terminals.
- Out of an abundance of caution, heating and cooling coils are treated with a disinfectant and virucide.
- Restrooms and common areas are constructed of nonporous materials allowing for effective cleaning of all surfaces.
- Large parts of the terminal receive direct sunlight through large windows helping to disinfect and improve air quality.
- The North International Terminal has a CDC quarantine station with isolation area.
Our methods and materials
ANC has always had a robust cleaning program and will continue using disinfectants that are effective against viruses.
- ANC uses commercial grade disinfecting chemicals on high-touch surfaces.
- All restrooms are disinfected by special crews each shift that are solely dedicated to thoroughly cleaning restrooms.
- Each area of the terminal has staff dedicated to general sanitation of common areas.
- ANC has dedicated staff to sanitize high-touch areas with ultra-strong disinfectants.
- Floors and vertical surfaces are sanitized each shift.
- Drinking fountains are disinfected each shift and steam-cleaned weekly.
ANC’s main escalators have newly-installed UV-C Handrail Sterilization Modules.
Technology can help keep airports clean and travelers safe. ANC uses technology in innovative ways.
- ANC’s main escalators have newly-installed UV-C Handrail Sterilization Modules. The handrails of other escalators are maintained by our “High-Touch” Surface Team.
- Many elevators feature self-cleaning button covers and ionic air purification technology.
- Steam-cleaning of certain surfaces and water fountains is done weekly.
- Carpets are vacuumed daily using equipment with HEPA filters to trap any viruses present.
- ANC has new, high-capacity floor cleaners that allow more cleaning per shift than traditional floor cleaners.
Airport business practices have changed to increase social distancing and protect travelers and employees.
- Customer-facing employees must be able to maintain a social distance of at least 6-feet. If unable, they must use a cloth face covering that covers the nose and mouth, or a physical barrier.
- Restaurants with table or bar seating must reconfigure their seating arrangements to ensure proper social distancing. Restaurants will follow State health mandates regarding staff’s wearing of face masks while interacting with customers.
- Dining surfaces must be sanitized between each customer.
- Restaurants and retailer shops must offer touchless payment, such as mobile apps or Tap and Pay.
- The ANC Badge Office is maintaining social distancing requirements by providing services by appointment only.
- Signage has been added throughout the airport and overhead announcements are playing to remind travelers to maintain social distancing while traveling through the airport. Prominent signage is posted in the ticketing areas, at the TSA security checkpoint, and gate areas.
In addition to these and other changes, ANC recommends its guests and passengers follow CDC guidelines to stay healthy, as well as the following:
- All passengers and guests should wear cloth face coverings while at ANC.
- Travelers should place personal belongings in their carry-on luggage and use mobile boarding passes to limit touchpoints.
- Travelers are encouraged to wash their hands directly before and after completing the security screening process.
- Carry personal hand-sanitizing liquid containing at least 60% alcohol. TSA has increased the amount of hand sanitizer allowed through the security checkpoint to 12 ounces. Check the TSA website for more COVID-related changes.
- Prevent terminal crowding. Arrive at the airport at least two hours before departure to prevent last-minute rushing before scheduled flights.
- Be prepared. TSA security queues may look longer due to increased social distancing.
- Use the Cellphone Lot, the short-term parking garage, and the curbside. If you are picking up or dropping off passengers, and your party does not require assistance, stay outside on the curb and have your party come to you. You should not enter the terminals unless you are assisting unaccompanied minors, passengers with disabilities, or others who need assistance.
ANC staff take tremendous pride in maintaining and providing the cleanest and safest place possible for the public. ANC is working closely with health experts from the State Department of Health and Social Services (DHSS) and following guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to ensure our methods and materials remain consistent with the most current for handling new developments related to the COVID-19 coronavirus.